International Blokart Racing Association Blokart Sailing Rules
Edition 6 of the IBRA RulesThe IBRA rules have been updated following an extensive period of consultation and input from competitors from around the world. Issues and discrepancies identified during that process have been tidied up in the latest Edition. Edition 6 rules will come into effect at events from 1 January 2018 until approximately December 2019, after which a new edition of the rules may be published or this edition extended. The following are some of the changes included;
- Previous IBRA interpretations to Edition 5 are now integrated into the rules
- Some basic requirements have been set for helmets used in racing.
- The 1.5kg allowance added for shoes and other safety gear is removed to simplify the weigh in requirements.
- Sailing rules now clarify that the Port /Starboard rule has priority over an inside overlap when rounding marks or obstructions.
- The default starting procedure has been updated to reflect that electronic timing is used for most major events
- Disqualifications can again be dropped from a competitors’ points score except for breaches of the principles of sportsmanship and fair play.
- Redress will now be considered for those disadvantaged by another competitor breaking the sailing rules. The previous requirement was that damage must be sustained.
- Protest and redress forms have been updated to include more information on the protest outcome for scorers.
Disabled Sailors Modification Pre-approval Procedure
Disabled blokart competitors may seek a pre-approval certificate for modifications required to enable them to compete, as allowed for in Rule B.9.4.
These pre-approval certificates will outline the modification in detail and can be presented to the scrutineers at any IBRA sanctioned event (or those sanctioned by an IBRA member Association and their Clubs)
All competitors seeking a pre-approval certificate must also provide proof of their disability, either by way of a medical certificate / doctors letter, or a statement / card etc issued granting disability benefits (eg: disabled car parking permit)
To seek a pre-approval from IBRA please email the the following to to apply:
- Class: (production or performance)
- Description of disability
- Proof of disability
- Description of modification required to mitigate the disability
- Photographs of modification required (if available).
Edition 5 of the IBRA rules was released in July 2015, and expired 31st December 2017.
IBRA Rules Edition 5 Amendment 1 (pdf) published 11 February 2016, Expired 31st December 2017.
The IBRA rules edition 5 refers (rule B.1.2) to the approved accessories list.
This can be downloaded here:
(version 02 uploaded 28 July 2015 – Expired 31st December 2017.)
IBRA interpretations – issued 7 March 2016
20160307_IBRA_InterpretationsExpired 31st December 2017.)