best gloves that you have used

A place to discuss blokart equipment, what makes a kart fast, how to rig a kart, tuning questions.

best gloves that you have used

Postby iknownothing » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:40 pm

i was wondering what are the best gloves for gripping the main sheet.
sometimes the sheet slides right through my sailing gloves - maybe i'm just being a pansy - i don't know. :lol:
David Green
VBA member
supported by Janelle.
iknownothing

Re: best gloves that you have used

Postby GeoffS » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:33 pm

I like using the rubber-coated work/gardening gloves, like these:
http://www.ansellpro.com/product-catalo ... ductId=145

I have elbow tendinitis and shoulder damage, so having really grippy gloves is crucial to my being able to sail.

They last for a few days of hard sailing, but they're inexpensive.

You can see them in-action in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVPOAYn-wds

Here are a couple of left hand gloves (the one I use to sheet with) after sailing for a while:
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sponsors (yay!): ,
Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
GeoffS

Postby iknownothing » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:51 am

thanks Geoff.

I will have to chase these up. I to have had elbow problems and I don't have as much grip strength. how these two things are related I don't know, but I have noticed that i cant keep the sail powered up like I would like.
David Green
VBA member
supported by Janelle.
iknownothing

Postby GeoffS » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:47 pm

My observation over the 15+ years that I've been dealing with elbow tendinitis is that gripping tightly and pulling your hand upward (i.e. sheeting in) is the worst combination to aggravate the elbow tendons.

Reducing the grip force really helps, so sticky gloves are what's kept me in sailing, iceboating, and landsailing.
Sponsors (yay!): ,
Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
GeoffS

Postby Smokin' » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:20 am

Hi,
I agree, the best gloves for grip are the lighter rubber coated ones. Leather sailing gloves are hard work to use unless kept wet the whole time, difficult on a dry lake. I go to the Safety shop and buy them cheap from the discard bin where they have ones not in a pair. That way I get left handed ones which I wear out fastest.
Russell
Smokin'

Return to Equipment